From small start-ups to bigger businesses, having the right commercial storage is a must for daily operations.
Whether you’re expanding your business or just starting out, you’ll need an effective business storage solution to keep your stock and paperwork in order.
But how do you know what kind of commercial storage is best for you?
A few popular choices for business storage include:
- Industrial warehouse
- Self-storage unit.
Compare the pros and cons of each to decide which commercial storage option might best suit you.
Renting or buying a warehouse, factory, or other commercial property can be a suitable storage solution for growing businesses that need their own space.
- Space – You’re less limited for space as you can choose a property to suit your needs.
- Versatility – Depending on the space you’re hiring or buying, it may double as a workspace for employees.
- Investment Opportunity – If you’re in a position to buy, your commercial property could be a potential investment opportunity as it grows in value over time.
- Costs – Whether you’re renting or buying, the cost of a commercial property can take a big bite out of your budget. Ongoing costs like electricity and other overheads can also be a factor.
- Lack of Flexibility – Signing a lease or buying a property can limit your ability to grow your business until you can organise a larger space.
- Lack of Control – Renting an industrial space means your landlord can impact your business decisions. For example, they may decide to sell the property to someone else, leaving you scrambling to find a new space (and to find the budget for the big move).
Best Suited To:
Industrial warehouses are a good business storage option for bigger operations with larger inventory or extensive product lines. They can be especially handy for businesses with teams that need an office or workspace.
Psst. Check out these super helpful hints to manage your own inventory.
Not just for those moving home or keeping a collection, commercial self-storage units are a handy way to store files and inventory.
- Tidy Workspace – Hiring a business storage unit gets your stock and paperwork out of your home office so you can enjoy a tidy workspace and keep your focus.
- Only Pay for What You Need – Choose the unit size you need and pay monthly for as long as you need it.
- Climate-Controlled Option – If your business deals with wine, medicine, electronics, or other items that don’t fare well in the heat and humidity, a climate-controlled storage unit is the perfect option.
- Flexibility – You won’t be forced to commit to a fixed-term lease, so you can choose when it’s time to move out when it suits you. You can also seamlessly upgrade or downsize to a different-sized unit as your stock levels change or your needs evolve.
- Travel – Keeping your work assets out of the home means making a trip to your commercial storage unit every time you need something. Depending on how local your unit is, this might become bothersome. (Hint: Ask your local National Storage staff about getting your items delivered to you when you need them.)
- Access Hours – While our storage locations offer early-morning to late-evening access hours as standard, you can organise 24/7 access hours with centre management if you want the option to come and go whenever you please.
Best Suited To:
Business storage units are perfect for online businesses. This way you can work from home and keep your stock and paperwork organised and out of the way – and pop in to do emails and admin duties if you wish. A storage unit can also work well for tradies (a central place to keep your tools), SME businesses, and even national enterprises (talk to us about setting up a corporate account with multiple locations).
For help choosing the right storage unit for your business, have a read of this handy article.
Does your home have more stuff than space? It’s time to get a self-storage unit. Discover our affordable, flexible options here and book today.