You know what’s really frustrating? When you buy an elaborate, expensive present for a young child and they end up having more fun with the cardboard box your gift came in.
Cat owners can probably relate:
This year, we’re making boxes a big part of the festive fun – on purpose. If you’re a queen or king of crafty projects, give this one a spin: build your own Christmas tree out of boxes.
Creating your own #CardboardChristmas tree is a great way to:
- Put your art skills and creativity to the test
- Make use of those moving boxes that are still lying around
- Keep the kids busy during the school holidays
- Make an eco-friendly (yet oddly stylish) statement this Christmas.
Your tree is sure to catch attention, especially once you’ve adorned it with simple decorations and twinkling fairy lights.
What You’ll Need
- 2 hours (give or take)
- 2 boxes
- Masking tape/sticky tape/Blu-Tack
- Knife/scissors (a knife makes the project easier, but scissors are safer for young tree builders)
- Safe surface to cut on
- Steel ruler
- A4 or A3 printed templates:
How to Build Your Own Christmas Tree
1. Print out the templates.
2. Flatten your boxes.
3. Tape or stick the templates to your cardboard.
4. Cut out your 2D tree shapes and remove the paper templates.
5. Slide parts A into parts B to make your 3D tree shapes.
6. Join trees 1, 2, 3 and 4 together using the slots.
7. Slot the top tree into place.
8. Put a star on top (you may want to make your own).
9. Add extra decorations as you see fit.
Don’t Stop ‘Till You Get Enough
Why stop there? Use our universal template to build extra tiers and create a bigger tree. Get creative with your decorations and add a splash of paint – do whatever you like to make your tree unique and festive. And if you create something magical, we’d love to see it. Hit us up with pics on Facebook.
Merry #CardboardChristmas and happy holidays!
Does your home have more stuff than space? It’s time to get a self-storage unit. Discover our affordable, flexible options here and book today.