Thinking of converting your garage into a party room?
If you’re looking to increase the entertaining space in your home, the garage is the perfect place to start – especially if it’s currently being used as a refuse heap for unwanted stuff.
Picture it now: A sofa where your rusty old bikes are leaning, a pool table where your “backup” car is, and a snack table where those almost-empty paint tins have been abandoned.
Even the simplest of spaces can be transformed into a funky hangout with the right steps.
It’s party time.
Declutter and Deep Clean
You might want to dedicate an entire weekend to this one. Goodness knows what’s accumulated in the deepest, darkest corners of your overlooked lair.
The first step to turning your garage into a party room is to ditch the forgotten stuff and banish any dirt or cobwebs.
Sort Your Stuff
Organise your garage items into three piles: keep, toss, and sell. If you need a hand figuring out what to keep and what to say goodbye to, this quiz might help.
Find a new home for the things you need to hold onto – whether it’s in the garden shed, the spare room cupboard, or a self-storage unit.
Toss any damaged items in the wheelie bin, or make a trip to your local rubbish tip or hire a skip bin.
Donate or sell the stuff you don’t need but could still benefit someone else.
Wanna make some cash from your clutter? Find out whether selling online or holding a garage sale suits you better with our article Garage Sale vs. Selling Online (Pros, Cons And Tips).
Clean from Top to Bottom
Once you’ve emptied out your garage, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get scrubbing. The key to a spotless space is to start from the ceiling and work your way down.
Clean the Ceiling
- Apply safety goggles.
- Remove cobwebs and dirt with a soft-bristled broom. Use a step ladder if you can’t reach your garage ceiling with a broom – don’t forget to ask a friend to hold it steady.
- Combine a little household cleaner with warm water in a bucket.
- Soak a sponge floor mop in the water and gently mop the ceiling.
- Rinse the mop in the kind-of-soapy water and clean the ceiling as you would the floors.
Clean the Walls
- Apply protective gloves.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to wipe any dust and debris off the walls.
- Following the instructions on the bottle, combine sugar soap with warm water in a bucket.
- Dampen a cleaning rag in the water and wipe the walls from top to bottom.
Clean the Floor
- Apply safety goggles.
- Sweep and vacuum to remove dirt and debris.
- Mop using warm water and household cleaner.
- Scrub tougher marks with a firm-bristled broom.
- For oil spills and similar stains, apply a hydrogen peroxide and flour paste overnight. Remove with a scraper tool the next day.
For a more in-depth guide to cleaning your garage, check out our article How To Clean Your Garage.
Do Some DIY Renos
Now you’ve evicted the junk (and spiders) from your garage, it’s time to consider how you’d like to use the space and plan any upgrades accordingly.
For example, if you’d like to turn your garage into a rumpus room used mostly for watching movies with friends, you might like to paint the walls a dark colour to give it a real cinema feel.
If you want to use the space to play board games, you could mount some open shelving to display all your games.
And if you’re using the garage as a party room for young kids, you might like to consider installing carpet to prevent slips or injuries on a hard surface.
A few quick and easy DIY renos might include:
- Giving the walls a fresh coat of paint
- Upgrading the flooring – even if it’s just with a coat of paint
- Upgrading the light fixtures.
Depending on what you’re working with, you might like to call in the professionals for projects such as installing:
- More lighting
- More power outlets
Garage Party Room Ideas
Now for the fun part.
Decorating your garage party room can be the most exciting step of the process, but it can also be tough to determine what you’ll need to bring your vision to life.
Thanks to the internet, we’re pretty spoiled for choice when it comes to décor ideas. So if you’re feeling stuck in the final stages of your garage party room transformation, see if these stylish spaces spark some inspiration.
The ultimate grownups’ cave, this garage is equipped for many a fun activity. From foosball and darts to card games and cocktails, we wouldn’t mind walking downstairs to this recreational retreat once the kids have nodded off.
Similarly, this simple garage rumpus room is perfect for enjoying some friendly competition on the pool table after work or on weekends. Just add your favourite playlist and a bar fridge, and you’ve got yourself a 5-star den for all your friends.
From the rustic decor to the cheery bamboo palms, this relaxed boho hangout looks like the perfect place to enjoy sundowners with mates.
If you’re in the mood for upgrades, we have plenty of renovation hacks for the whole home in this article.
Does your home have more stuff than space? It’s time to get a self-storage unit. Discover our affordable, flexible options here and book today.