The GIANTS might be top of the Suncorp Super Netball ladder but it doesn’t get much tougher than a trip to Queensland to face the Firebirds.
The two sides go head-to-head on the Gold Coast on Saturday night and with the home side reeling from a QLD derby loss in Round 7, GIANTS Head Coach Julie Fitzgerald knows her side will meet a fired-up Firebirds outfit on Saturday night.
“The Firebirds will be pretty desperate to remain in the top four and I think they’ll be pretty disappointed with some of the performances they have put out this year so we’ll have to be on our game against them on Saturday,” Fitzgerald said.
“We will have to be very tight in the midcourt and put as much pressure as we can on there to make sure we can do what we want.”
Fitzgerald also announced that temporary replacement player Sarah Wall would be included in the GIANTS squad again for this weekend’s clash.
“Sarah did a really good job for us when she came in last week and we have benefit of having her for the trip to the Gold Coast.
“She slotted in really well to our team last week which was impressive considering she didn’t know much about how we played and that was a real bonus for us.”
• The Firebirds are coming off a 49-60 loss to the Lightning in Round 7.
• The GIANTS are coming off a 59-56 win over the Swifts in Round 7. They have won both matches against their cross-town rivals in 2017.
• The GIANTS have a record of six wins and one loss after seven rounds to sit on top of the Suncorp Super Netball ladder.
• The Firebirds have a record of three wins, a draw and three losses to sit in fourth position on the ladder after seven rounds.
• The GIANTS are the fourth most accurate shooting team after seven rounds with 85.5% accuracy while the Firebirds have the second worst accuracy in the competition at 77%.
• The GIANTS have the second best attacking record after seven rounds with 57.3 goals per match while the Firebirds have the fifth best record with 53.7 goals per match.
• The GIANTS have the second best defensive record averaging 51.7 goals against per match while the Firebirds have the fourth best record conceding 53.6 goals per match.
• The GIANTS are the only team to have been inside the Suncorp Super Netball top four after each round.
• GIANTS Head Coach Julie Fitzgerald has coached 289 matches at this level claiming her 200th win against the Swifts in Round 7. Fitzgerald has a 69% success rate across the former Australian National League, Trans-Tasman and now Suncorp Super Netball competitions.
• The Firebirds were held to their equal lowest Suncorp Super Netball score (49-goals) by the Lightning in Round 7. The Firebirds also scored 49 goals in their Round 6 win over the Thunderbirds in
• Firebirds shooter Romelda Aiken has shot 63% of the Firebirds goals this season.